Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Great Pumpkin



So, as I realized last year, Halloween is decidedly American. There are a few down here who get excited, some shop windows filled with fake cobwebs and whatnot. When I lamented that I miss Halloween, my Mom suggested that I just go out and find a pumpkin to carve so that I can have my own little observance. Good idea, Mom.

Haydn and I swung by the Fruitologist to check out the produce and while I thought I might have to carve a butternut squash, we spotted the Halloween Pumpkins and took the chosen one to the check out. Now, I think I found the Great Pumpkin that little Linus waited all through the night for...because this seemingly average pumpkin cost $18. Wow, that's some pumpkin! Can anyone share with me the going pumpkin rates in the U.S? Is this outlandish? Or am I just thinking in pumpkin rates of 1992?

Regardless, I'm so happy to have my pumpkin and will reserve next Monday for a carving session, then put it out on the balcony Tuesday night to let alert any random kids possibly trick-or-treating that there are fun size Snickers to be had at this residence.

Me and the pumpkin:



boo,
tara

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful pumpkin!

The pumpkins on Milford street, which are smaller than your beauty, were $5 each from the farmers market...simliar size at fancy flower store Twig down there street were $12. Buy Direct.

Anonymous said...

Cute pumpkin! Dad and I bought a good size pumpkin for $5 from a farmer outside of Madison. Hey, did you know that the TV show "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" 1st aired in 1966 - its 40 years old! Mom